Our unique membership model offers great value-for-money. SUMS Members access our management consultancy services, our expert staff, our extensive knowledge base, and engage in our community of practice groups, events, seminars and workshops that provide learning and networking opportunities.
Why Become a Member?
Our unique membership model offers great value-for-money. SUMS members can access:
- Member-specific consultancy assignments, tailored to individual institutions’ needs
- Participation in collaborative assignments that tackle topical issues and provide insight for the sector on trends and activities
- Support from our expert staff, who have extensive experience and knowledge of the HE sector
- Access to our accumulated experience and knowledge of higher education institutions and developments over 30 years
- Access to our member base of universities across the UK, representing the breadth of UK mission groups, for networking and knowledge sharing
- Free member events including an annual conference, seminars and workshops to learn about the latest insights from SUMS’ membership and beyond
- Community of Practice Groups to discuss discipline-specific issues in a collaborative and supportive environment with like-minded colleagues
- Professional development support to help senior leaders operate at peak performance within new or evolving roles
- Knowledge exchange through a series of free publications including briefing papers, best practice guides and case studies
- Flexible membership options and preferential consultancy rates for any work completed once an institution has used its full complement of membership days.
SUMS Members commission consultancy assignments, which are paid for through an annual subscription. Assignments can be individual or collaborative, but we tailor each one to the specific university’s culture and needs.
We have a strong legacy – SUMS membership has grown steadily since the organisation was established in 1968. Members shape the work that we do and benefit from the shared knowledge and understanding that results from it.
Two levels of membership are available – 40 days’ consultancy and 20 days’ consultancy.
To learn more about SUMS Membership options, please contact us.
Member-specific consultancy assignments
Assignments are delivered by our highly experienced team of Higher Education consultants whose expertise spans most areas of activity within universities. Our team brings an understanding of good practice across the sector to your assignment. Alongside individual assignments, we deliver a range of collaborative assignments where the involvement of multiple members allow us to address issues that affect the sector as a whole.
Extensive knowledge base
SUMS Members benefit from access to the extensive SUMS knowledge base. This knowledge base – combined with our consultants’ knowledge of good practice – is a unique asset that our Members value when looking at new assignments. Members can access publications including good practice guides and reports, assignment reports (contingent on member permission), briefing papers, hot topics and case studies.
We run a range of events and workshops responding to priority developments, Members’ interests and emerging good practice. Part of our regular calendar of events, Community of Practice Groups are facilitated by SUMS consultants to support the exchange of good practice. Visit our events page to attend one of our upcoming events, free for Members.
Professional development support
We recognise the challenges of working in a senior role in higher education, therefore we provide aid for individuals who have recently joined a university in a senior management position, been promoted internally to a new role, or someone just seeking some reassurance, inspiration or support. Learn more about SUMS Professional Development Support.